Friday, October 14, 2005

Return to Normalcy!

Yesterday was the tipping point. It was the first day that I felt alert and awake all day without being seized by an overwhelming need to curl up into a ball and take a nap. Yay! I have energy! And it's not just me, everything is growing more and more normal, minute by minute.

We have had POWER for two nights! So in very normal fashion, last night I watched Survivor, my one favorite ridiculous reality show! We can now accomplish things at home after 7 p.m.! I vacuumed yesterday-one of the joys of having electricity- and cleaned the whole house, just in time for our insurance adjuster to take a tour. So that's another task that can be checked off. Shaw continued to restore our yard. And our ROOFERS -- yes ROOFERS!-- are currently installing fabulous new shingles on our home.

In the late afternoon yesterday, our neighbors returned (more normalcy!) just in time to watch this incredible vehicle come up our street -- it has a giant claw on one end like the ones you use to catch stuffed animals in those games in the lobbies of grocery stores -- only instead of catching stuffed animals, you catch refrigerators! This operator was good -- he caught a refrigerator every time, then he placed them neatly side by side in a gigantic truck. So no more refrigerators on our street! Moments later, who should arrive but the MAIL LADY!!! Wow -- MAIL!!!

Ok -- I don't sound normal at all, being excited about mail -- but it's just one more way that life is feeling hopeful, pleasant, and routine in a good way. I think it's time to go back to writing in my own personal journal about the minutiae of my life. If I decide that anything is particularly fascinating, I may continue to post here occasionally, perhaps to chronicle the continued rebirth of our city.

Thanks again to all who have been so caring and supportive throughout this crazy journey. When the power came back on a couple of days ago we were finally able to listen to the many messages on our answering machine from across the country checking on us, hoping that we had already evacuated, offering places to stay, offering to rebuild our home if necessary, all on the Sunday before Katrina. We are grateful for an incredible network of friends and family. Keep in touch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home